Saturday, June 03, 2006

Random thoughts and responses to comments

Apparently there were people that, for some reason, thought I looked like I was sweating a lot in one of my last sets of pictures. This actually made me laugh out loud:

My friends, this is 100% pure “it’s 40 degrees out and I just biked several kilometres to work while drinking several litres of water” sweat. Anything else pales in comparison.


On an equally random note, those who know me know that I have a very strong liking for random graffiti; websites like http://postsecret.com and www.picturesofwalls.com are something slightly more than obsessions for me. Well, as luck would have it, Ghana is absolutely chalk full of various sayings and messages; some of them brilliant, some of them not. No matter where you go it seems there’s always something written on the tro-tros or buildings. I’ve spent most of my time in the cities in awe, thoroughly amused and amazed by some of the things I saw. However, as I soon found out, most of the ‘graffiti’ writings that I was seeing were actually the names of shops; since the owners couldn’t afford any real signs they simply wrote the name on the outside of the building. The reason that I didn’t immediately understand that these were store names was because they were so deeply religious and odd.

Admittedly, I was told before coming to expect to find some pretty hilarious and religious names for stores and tro-tros; but nothing could have prepared me for what I’ve found so far:

Bryn's Favourites
-
“Satan dies naked here spot”
- “Cocaine rice”
- “The Lord he giveth salvation air conditioner ent.”
- “Fear woman”
- “Jesus is the owner metallurgy”
- “The world is not our home ent.”
- “The Lord blesses his faithful inc.”
- “As if but not”
- “Covered in the blood of Jesus electronics”
- “Sharp corner fast food on a sharp corner”
- “Cow ey get no tale”
- “(Just) Kill Me”
- “Quick action spot”
- “Psalm 16:23”

I am far too easily amused sometimes…

4 Comments:

At 4:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Bryn,
After all the very deep and thought-provoking posts, you added one now that shows the other side. Good to know it is still there too.

On an ignorant note, is Cocaine Rice the actual product, or just the name?

I am still laughing at "Covered in the blood of Jesus electronics". I can't picture a place like that doing well in Fredericton.
Who knew?

 
At 6:38 p.m., Blogger Laura said...

Ewww, those pictures were disgusting... blue shirts aren't supposed to look... yellow.

On another note, I didn't really say you looked like you were sweating, but that the shirt was not appropriate for hot weather and that you looked like you would be hot. But man, those pictures were SWEATING! (Those are the type of pictures that will resurface someday on your wedding day).

 
At 6:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty sure if we stuck you in ghana and me doing anything I'd still sweat more. haha, that's hot though. --brett

 
At 12:47 p.m., Blogger Emily said...

But seriously, why aren't you wearing a tshirt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home